Saturday 7 May 2011

Birthday and Bin Laden?!

Assalamu Alaykum.



The picture above was made by TheSisterWhoSmiles, jazaakAllahu kheir for the Birthday messages and the presents!

I know this is a bit late, but it was my birthday on 2nd May, the same day that Bin Laden died. I remember waking up to a bright morning in England, my eyes blinded by the light. And then I received a text from a (Muslim) friend saying that Bin Laden had died. So I googled. Obviously, the news of his death was plastered everywhere. Somehow, it seemed a bit surreal to me, so I jumped out of bed, and asked my parents... who were laughing and joking about his death.

Just a bit morbid? I mean... "Happy Bin Laden Death Day"?!

Since I don't know many Muslims, I'm not sure whether to take his death as a cause for celebration. Is it haraam to "celebrate" someone's death, terrorist or not?

From my perspective, it's good that he's dead. He gives the 99% of hardworking, good Muslims a bad name. His leadership led to the death of many. In the Holy Qur'an, it says "If anyone has murdered a human being, it is as if he has slain the entire human race." It's good to know that Allah swt will judge him, and the rest of us, accordingly.

However, I don't think people should be overjoyed by his death. To me, it seems a bit harsh that people are partying about his death but I am not condoning his actions.

Anyway, I had a good birthday, and somehow managed to stay away from alcohol! Alhamdulillah! At least I woke up to a morning with one less threat to the world.

Allah Hafiz!

1 comment:

  1. Alhamdulilah you've lived to see another year, may Allah grant you a healthy life :)

    you raised good points that i agree with, and i think the article I've pasted below summarises the reactions of the event.

    http://muslimmatters.org/2011/05/02/thoughts-on-the-death-of-obl-by-yasir-qadhi/

    ReplyDelete